The University holds the CLA Higher Education Licence. This Licence provides blanket permissions to copy and re-use of extracts of text and still images from printed books, journals and magazines, and from digital publications including some free-to-view and subscription websites.
The proportion of a work that can be copied consists of:
- One chapter of a book
- One article from a journal issue;
- One paper from a set of conference proceedings;
- One report of a single case from a volume of judicial proceedings;
- One short story or one poem or one play of not more than 10 pages in an anthology of short stories, poems or plays;
- OR 10% of the total publication, whichever is the greater.
- Printed music;
- Maps and charts;
- Workbooks, workcards and assignment sheets;
- Any work that has been specifically excluded by the Copyright owner.
**Please note that for scanning chapters for uploading to Blackboard or an online reading list additional restrictions apply**
Under the terms of our licence only only designated staff (i.e Library Staff) are permitted to scan articles for uploading to Blackboard as all items have to be checked to ensure that they are covered by the Licence and all scans made need to be recorded and reported to the CLA. Staff who wish to have book chapters or journal articles scanned for adding to Blackboard or their reading list should look at the the Library Scanning/Digitisation Service.