Now that you have your library card, you're ready to start borrowing.
The Library is arranged over 4 floors, with all borrowable material on Floors 3 and 4. This includes: books, DVDs and CDs. There is also a bookable AV collection available from the Support Enquiry Zone (SEZ) on Floor 1.
Self-issue and return machines are located on Floor 1. If you need assistance with these, please ask a member of staff at SEZ.
Remember, we also have an extensive e-library stocking a range of online resources including books, journals, market research and legal information. If we don't have what you need on the shelves, check LibrarySearch for an online alternative.
Further information and FAQs
How many items can I borrow?
||16 items, inc: up to 2 overnight loans; up to 6 AV equipment loans
|Abertay staff and PGR students
||20 items, inc: up to 2 overnight loans; up to 6 AV equipment loans
Items exclude reference material such as books from the reference collection, print journals and theses.
||10p per day
||50p per day
||50p per day
||50p per HOUR
||50p per day
| AV equipment
||£1.00 per day
* note: 4-week loan items may be recalled if reserved by another user and your due date brought forward. We will email you with your amended due back date, or you can check your borrowing details from Your Library Account.
** note: overnight loans must be returned by the Library closure time the following day.
Fines are charged at the same rate for staff, students and visitors.
If your charges exceed £20.00 you will be asked to agree to a payment plan. Failure to adhere to this plan will result in your library account being suspended.
Full details of the Library's debt management policy are available in the University's Student Debt Policy.
Self-issue machines are situated on the ground floor of the Library. You will need your student/staff card to use them and a receipt will be issued giving details of the date and time (if applicable) your items are due back.
If you are unable to use the self-issue machines or if you wish to borrow AV equipment, please visit the Support Enquiry Zone (SEZ) where staff will be able to help you.
Unless reserved by another user, 1-week and 4-week loan items will automatically be renewed twice for the same period. We will alert you by email of the amended due date(s). After this, we ask that you return your items.
Overnight loans will only renew once, after which the item must be returned.
Overnight loans are essential titles from reading lists and, as such, are in high demand. They:
- are shelved amongst the main collection and can be found from LibrarySearch. Each title is clearly labelled, 'Overnight lending'.
- can be borrowed from the self-service machines any time from 8.30am providing there are no prior bookings.
- must be returned before the library closes the following day (Friday issues are due for return before closing on Monday).
- will automatically renew once, providing they have not been booked by another user.
- have an overdue charge of 50p an hour.
- can be booked up to 3 weeks in advance.
- can only be issued to registered staff and students at Abertay University, although they are available for reference use for all library users.
Remember, you can only borrow up to two overnight items at any one time.
Booking an overnight loan
Overnight loans can be booked up to 3 weeks in advance. Bookings can not be made for the same day, but if an item has no prior bookings and is on the shelves it can be borrowed in the usual way. To place a booking:
- Go to LibrarySearch
- Search for the item you wish to book
- Click Get it. If there is more than one copy select the copy that is at Overnight Lending
- Select Request
- Select the date and time that you want to place the booking for. Your booking must begin and end during library opening hours and the booking start and end times must not exceed 24 hours otherwise your request will be declined.
- You can see existing bookings from the Check Availability link
- Click on the Request button.
- Once your booking has been made, you will see the message Request Placed
- Further help is available at the Support Enquiry Zone (SEZ).
- Your booked item will be available for collection from the Support Enquiry Zone (SEZ) or if SEZ is closed ask one of the library auxiliaries on roving patrol for help.
Other payments: lost or damaged books, print credits, and consumables.
Lost and damaged books
If you should lose or damage a book you will be asked to pay the replacement cost. Invoices should be paid within 30 days. Failure to settle an invoice promptly may result in a £25.00 administration charge being applied. Failure to settle a debt before leaving the University may result in referral to a debt collection agency.
If you are unable to use the self-service print credit revaluer you can pay for print credits at SEZ. Print credits are only sold in blocks of £1.50. If you wish to purchase a smaller amount of credit you should use the self service revaluer in the foyer.
A small range of consumables is available for sale from SEZ.
|USB memory stick (32GB)